Thursday, January 22, 2009

Plugging along

Well it's been a couple of weeks since I have blogged and I have a ton of stuff to talk about. I apologize if I ramble or go off on a tangent in advance.

Career
So as of right now, my career choice is to go into Football coaching.  Although I do not have anything materializing lately on this job front, I do have some fall back jobs that I could end up going to after graduation.  The problem with trying to get a college football coaching job for me is that I am not available to coach until after the semester is over and most of these coaches are being hired now.  Because I am unavailable now, I am less attractive to most employers, imo.

School
Classes are very hectic to start the semester.  I picked up two extra classes in order to complete my minor in BA.  Those two classes aren't that difficult, but the couple other classes I have started off very quickly and I have been on my horse to try and stay on course early in the semester.  My International Money and Finance (IMF) has been exceptionally interesting and challenging.  The professor is a very exceptional teacher, which makes the class have a much higher incentive to show up and be attentive.  I think this is something that a lot of professors negate and their attendance is down because of it.  This is also something that I am applying to my own course because I want to have strong attendance throughout the semester.

General Poker Theory Course
The course has been going well so far.  The first class I went over the very basics of poker (why people play poker, how to make money, Variance, etc.).  The second class I went over types of players and Bankroll management.  I think that I might of went over BRM too quickly or not emphasized it enough because most of the students didn't have questions on it.  It is a very difficult concept to apply over and over again, but it is absolutely necessary in order to survive poker.  With that being said, most of the people in the class are looking to how to attack certain instances instead the meta-game of poker.  Flawed thinking? Probably, but I can't do very much about it.  All I can do is teach as many important concepts that I can and they will get out of it as much as they put in.

Poker
So I have completely changed my goals for 2009 as they compare to poker.  They were:
Goals for STTs in 2009:
* Put in 3,333+ games a month
* Start at $16's and end up at $38's
* Find ROI at every level before moving up in stakes (2k games minimum)
* Win "Earth" SNG leader board 6 times (low or high orbit)
* Work a lot on my game non stop

I am still going to try and work on my game non-stop for the semester/year, but I have turned away from STTs for at least the next couple of months and have been focusing on cash games in January.  I started very low (NL10) because I want to slowly and progressively build my 6-max NLHE skill.  So far this month I have played 9k hands.  For me restarting school and being very busy and changing games, I am pretty happy about that volume.  I will be bumping up to NL25 come February 1st and would like to put in 10-20k hands there before I jump up to NL50.  

I am going to try and put in 60-80 hours of playing time (~40k hands) over the month of Feb. and hopefully that will get me through NL50 and I can bump to NL100.  A realistic goal would be to get to NL100 by March and grind my face off during that time in order to start making some real money at cash games.

Those are most of my random thoughts.  oh, and go STEELERS!!!!
Here's a video I saw on MTVU the other day and it's pretty awesome.  Gnarls Barkley "Who's going to save my soul".  Enjoy.


FWIW,
Falker

No comments: